Monday, May 21, 2012

A POST OR TWO

Omega Speedmaster Planet Earth Watch - Concept
Let it be known that if it was not for the Omega Watch Company (and a few other's) that I would not be in the position that I am today. I started studying watch design because of watches like the Seamaster and Speedmaster. I can say for certain that Omega is one of the only companies that I could, if need be, go the rest of my life with only their timepieces on my wrist. With that being said, "Here We Go."

Omega has just about every buyer covered, even with the customers that have the craving for the vintage looks of the "Museum Watch." But they have an unbalanced portfolio, as most do.

"My Suggestion"

If Omega wants to be balanced and open minded, my offering would be that they combine the aspects of the Planet Ocean Chronograph and the Speedmaster Day Date. Now the buyer would have another option in the "large" watch market. You may ask, "what would a watch of that nature be called?" The Speedmaster "Planet Earth"

Do I really believe that Omega will hear my call and act on it? Yes, they will hear me. No, I don't believe they will act on it, but would it not be great for a New Generation of Omega Watches to hit the market that say,
"Why should all large watches be Divers?"



I would, if I had anything to do with it, make these "Planet Earth" watches with blue and green dials
(yes, the color of the Earth) and have them the same design as the standard Day Dates but with
the same bezel platform as the "Moon" watches, flat not angled.
So this is the first of my "Wish List" watches and there will be more, a lot more.
(Picture above is the standard Speedmaster Day Date)
"Any" comments would be appreciated,

Thanks


New Concepts - Food for Watch thought
Is it just me or are watches moving in a direction of ,"How in the world do I tell time on this thing?"
I believe that watch inventions have their place in the world as an investment, or even as a "sign of wealth" but most of the world would like a watch that they can read easily, without having to be an engineer or a fighter pilot.

There is a way to get the timepiece that you want and still not have to have a doctorate to read it.
Most of the quality watch companies have watches that fit into this realm of "normal watch devices" and most people are more than happy with them. All I ever really wanted was something that I could wear just about anywhere within reason, not a dress watch for scuba diving of course
, but an all around piece that could go here "and" there.

I will be giving "food for thought" on the ideas that I would like to see come from the watch companies and hope to broaden the scope of watch making and design.

A friend of mine who is well respected in the watch industry told me once that no one in the
"Swiss Watch World" would really listen to me because:
(#1) I am not Swiss
(#2) I am American

Needless to say this frustrated me, but after I thought about it, I understood completely. The Swiss are proud of their heritage and craftsmanship, which may lead them to draw the conclusion that if
you are not of this heritage then what you say is not important.

My conclusion is this, to quote one of my favorite movies;

"Not anyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere."

Thanks for any comments,

No comments:

Post a Comment